AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Running of the bulls...........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 2/23/2013 22:38 (#2921548 - in reply to #2921130)
Subject: RE: Running of the bulls...........

Southeast Wyoming

WYDave - 2/23/2013 18:54

Well, the phrase "Mais Marradas 5 Estrelas" isn't Spanish - I think it's Portuguese. I get something like "More Butts, 5 stars" out of the title, but it's been years since I read anything in Portagee, so I could be wildly wrong. The subtitle "Vende-se Aqui" means "sold here" (and is sorta roughly Spanish, but could be Portagee) and (what really twigged me to the idea it is in Portuguese) "Açores" is Portuguese for "Azores" - as in the islands.

The style of the bull running is different than the Basque way of doing it in Spain, where they turn a small herd of immature bulls loose in the streets to run a course. That whole business with the ropes around the bulls' necks..... yea, that's stupid on steroids right there.

The only times I've dealt with cattle close-up and personal, I always had something at hand to let the cattle know I wasn't going to be pushed around. Like a 1" diameter hunk of steel 18"+ long to clout them across the snout if they wanted to try anything... just running amok in the streets with a bull behind me? I don't get it. Never have. 

The story from way before my time as a crew was trailing cattle to town past where I live now and a bull pretty well had put the fear in most.  The bull got his tail on the wrong end and decided to take Shorty Jewell's horse out from under him.  Shorty levelled his shot gun on him and gave him a message.  When the bull figured out which end should be pointed at the horse and the other end towards town, Shorty gave him another message; the journey went on without further incident.

But that was in the days when people worked for a living instead of seeking adventure.

Thanks Eugene for the link, I was on the edge of my chair through the entire thing.  It looked like "too much fun" for me.  lol

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)