AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Keep row cropping or double the herd?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

RCD
Posted 2/19/2013 08:24 (#2909858 - in reply to #2909396)
Subject: RE: Keep row cropping or double the herd?

West Central Iowa
Cattle are flexible animals that have the amazing ability to utilize a variety of feedstuffs of little value (cornstalks, wheat stubble, etc.) and turn them into a more valuable product. While I commend you on pursuing a rotational/holistic approach that promises low inputs, make sure you understand what you are getting into. It is possible to get good output (lbs, bushels, etc.) off low inputs but it requires more management, up front expense, and time to do so. And if not managed correctly, can result in lower output.

In regards to the balance of cattle vs. cropping. Living in Iowa, this is the first year we have really experienced the drought other areas have seen for a few years. I utilize rotational grazing in the spring/summer and harvest hay for my winter needs. Thank goodness we had a corn crop that was good enough to chop......otherwise I would have been severely deficient of feed. Many other producers did something similar. Without a "cash" crop that was flexible enough to be used as cattle feed, feeding the cow herd would have been a big (or expensive) problem. I like the diversity of my operation as it gives me choices and allows me to manage resources for their best use any given year.

SE Kansas should give you opportunities to double crop which are great opportunities to raise cattle feed if necessary.

Best wishes with whatever route you pursue.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)