AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

putting up haylage II
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

2388farmer
Posted 2/16/2013 15:20 (#2903536 - in reply to #2902890)
Subject: RE: putting up haylage II

In the end every farmer has to decide what is going to be best for their own needs and what will work best. I still believe a tower silo is not the way to go. I can think of dozens of farms in my area where tower silos, and some of them not that old, stand empty and will never to be used again. Any of these guys,if you ask them, will tell you they are sick and tired of climbing, fixing, lifting and lowering unloaders, putting in doors, taking out doors, etc., etc. Mostly, it is the high maintenance of unloaders that I hear over and over and the high cost of the maintenance. Even bottom unloaders have a huge maintenance cost. Most livestock operators in my area are using concrete bunker silos and/or covered piles to store their haylage, corn silage and even hmc and cobmeal. It doesn't matter whether they have 30 cows or 300 cows they won't use a tower silo. Horizontal storage combined with a tmr feeding system is by far the most economical choice available today for efficiency, production, and cost control. This is all just an opinion and an observation. Like I say, every farmer has to do what they think is right for their farm. All the best.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)