AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dang waterhemp regrowing, corn almost canopied
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

PHILLIPS
Posted 6/23/2006 18:28 (#21583 - in reply to #21572)
Subject: RE: rates/weed size

I don't think the 27 oz rate of Roundup was enough, it sounds like the dealer used Roundup Original Max. You said also you used 2oz rate of callisto, that won't get waterhemp over 5". I've dealt with waterhemp long enough here in Illinois and you have to go with extra roundup to get'em, and AMS is needed also. If you are going to respray use the 32oz rate (that's the max you can use in one shot of Roundup Original Max) with AMS. You said that the waterhemp is putting on new growth, and that's what makes me think you didn't use enough roundup. By going conventional tillage or no-till does not solve a waterhemp problem, either you have the seed or you don't. You said in another message that last farmer on the ground had lots of waterhemp all over the place, so whether you go no-till or conventional it doesn't matter anyway. The key to good waterhemp control is to get them killed when they are germinating or under 6", if taller than that there is a good chance you won't see adequate control with any chemical except glyphosate. That's why you have to use the upper limit rates of roundup when they get over that size. Sorry to hear about your problem, hopefully your father-in-law doesn't get on you to much, and hopefully he is smart enough to recognize the problems that came with the ground he owns now, that you have to deal with.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)