AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Straps or Chains??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 2/9/2013 13:22 (#2886380 - in reply to #2884753)
Subject: Re: Straps or Chains??

Faunsdale, AL
To double hitch one, put chain over fetlock up onto cannon bone and pull the loop tight with one hand on the free end of the chain. Then with chain running alongside the foot, pick up the middle of the straight length of chain with your free hand and let it droop off your fingers so it has a hump in it. Then twist that hump a half turn to make a loop and slip that loop over the foot up onto the fetlock and then pull the free end of the chain to tighten it and the first loop. Slip the whole business down until it's seated at the fetlock as shown in the picture.

I know a lot of folks swear you have to do this, but I don't really think it's a big thing. If I can't double it conveniently, I will go ahead and pull with a single loop on the cannon bone (or even on the fetlock if that's what I can get to) at least until I know it's going to be a hard pull. Calf may already be dead, so doesn't matter anyway sometimes. Once you get the foot out where you can get to it, you can double it up and this helps shorten the chain so those long calves with big hips don't run you out of pole on your puller before you get them out.

Chains all the way, Straps cut off circulation completely while the chain puts pressure in spots but not in between. Straps are one of those things that look like a good idea until you use them. It's amazing what you can accomplish with a few chains, some D handles, soap, water and OB lube. Does help to have long arms. I'm 6'4" with arms to match, so I can reach things sometimes that others cannot.

Someone mentioned a strap you put around yourself to help pull?????????? unless I misunderstand this, I am astounded.............................. This sounds like a setup for a Baxter Black story (how I got dragged across 10 acres). You sure don't want to ever connect yourself to a bovine with something that you can't let go, no matter what happens. Most folks learn this as a child in 4H or FFA training a calf to show. There is a good Baxter Black story about someone who looped the OB chains around their own wrists so they wouldn't drop them as they were sneaking up on a heifer laying in the pasture straining. You can look it up or make up the rest of the story to suit yourself!

Calf jacks are to save your back, and you can pull a bit harder, BUT you have to use them with some discretion.

I have Jerseys, so don't pull many of those :>) but have delivered many beef and Holstein calves for clients.

Edited by ccjersey 2/9/2013 13:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)