AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another kick at supplymanagment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dave_dairy
Posted 2/6/2013 22:40 (#2880599 - in reply to #2878470)
Subject: RE: Another kick at supplymanagment

New Brunswick
I support supply management. It has problems, the high price of quota being problem number 1, but the positives outweigh the negatives. It takes 24 + 9 months to ramp up supply. The product the farmer sells can't be stored for 12 months in a tank and then sold. Economics 101 leaves a lot to be desired when applied to the dairy industry, but people will always wave their hand and claim the free market will solve all. The diary industry in Canada has basically 3 end grocery customers a few large processors and supply management. When 2/3 of the industry is an ogliopoly it would seem that having the farmers act as a monopoly fits right in. But I am sure if supply management goes and the ogliopolies from above dictate prices then the dairy farmers will be better off....don't think so.

It also bothers me when other types of farmers critisise supply management when their industry is subsidized, insured, and bailed out. I think that argument is more of a " those farmers get more money/protection/subsidy/trade tariffs than I do and I don't like it".
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)