AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeding wrapped bales this afternoon (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 2/4/2013 18:10 (#2874747)
Subject: Feeding wrapped bales this afternoon (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

With the discussion about wrapped bales of dry hay, I took a couple pictures as I put two wrapped bales in feeders for a cow group this afternoon. This is not really the best wrapping can do because these bales sat out a month or more between baleing and wrapping.

My goal for several years has been to get the bales from my hay supplier as they are baled and get them wrapped before they get a rain or sit on wet ground for long. Never quite manage to do that as it is usually about the same time as Dakotafest or Farm Progress or Big Iron or....

But even though the outside had lost its green color, right under the surface of the bale these dense 6ft dia bales were as green as the day they were baled with essentially zero mold even on the bottom.

Here are some pictures. A couple heifers just couldn't wait until I put the bale in the feeder! While I was winding up the netwrap/plastic and stuffing it in my rock box they just decided it was chow time.

Jim

(IMG_0139_feeding_wrapped_bales_020413.jpg)

(IMG_0142_feeding_wrapped_bales_020413_bale sat out before wrapping but still green all around_zero mold.jpg)

(IMG_0143_feeding_wrapped_bales_020413_bale sat out for month last summer before wrapped but still green.jpg)

(IMG_0146_feeding_wrapped_bales_020413_a couple heifers couldnt wait while I rolled up plastic.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0139_feeding_wrapped_bales_020413.jpg (36KB - 86 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0142_feeding_wrapped_bales_020413_bale sat out before wrapping but still green all around_zero mold.jpg (91KB - 91 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0143_feeding_wrapped_bales_020413_bale sat out for month last summer before wrapped but still green.jpg (67KB - 101 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0146_feeding_wrapped_bales_020413_a couple heifers couldnt wait while I rolled up plastic.jpg (56KB - 94 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)