AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn prices???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Run_the_wheel
Posted 1/29/2013 23:32 (#2860118 - in reply to #2859943)
Subject: Re: Corn prices???

Central Iowa
If you're profitable at 5.80, sell some. Not all - since you've got to have some chips on the table just in case things get vertical with the drought. I sold some '13 corn via HTAs back first week of December at 6.30ish because I can make some money at that price. "You can't go broke if you're selling for a profit" they say. Today I read in the Iowa Farm Bureau paper that the American Petroleum Institute has made the repeal of the renewable fuels standard their #1 legislative priority this year. Uh oh!! Those guys have some serious $$$ to throw around Washington.

It got me thinking.............

Not too long ago...... 2005 I think..... I sold some corn for $1.86. I tried to hang on as long as I could.... hoping/praying for a 15-20 cent rally (that was a big weekly move back then - now it's just an intraday move). With bills coming due, I had to sell. (collected an LDP on it, but still not enough). I think most on this forum remember those days.

Yet here we are in 2013. $5.80 corn on the Dec contract!!! And it still isn't really enough to pay for the $800 NH3, $400 rents, $300/bag seed, $3.30 diesel, new/used paint, etc.

Bob Dylan said it best, "the times they are a changin'"
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)