AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Texas Hill Country ride
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

twraska
Posted 1/26/2013 19:29 (#2851994 - in reply to #2850966)
Subject: Re: Texas Hill Country ride

Wallis, TX

Grizz - 1/26/2013 10:35 Texas Hill Country has fantastic highways - fixed radius curves none of these decreasing radius crap like MN. Watch fuel as it could be 50-100 miles between gas stations. FM = Farm to Market highways: more digits = smaller roads Layer up for chills in shadows and heat in direct sunlight. If temps around freezing watch for frost/dew ice on bridges & shadows like mountain riding. Snow - park as nobody in TX knows how to drive in the snow. It'll melt same day next day as the soil temp is nowhere near freezing. I second three sisters. Another road is the mountain road from Bandera to Kerrville. Another short road is Park Road 37 from 16 to Lakehills - I bought a cabin at the end of the road although TXDOT added guardrails & straightened some curves in the last 20 years. Boerne was a small german town that has gotten big britches nowdays. March I believe is the SA Rodeo, Apr is Fiesta, SA's version of New Orleans Mardi Gras. I suggest park & ride outlots and bus downtown as it's shoulder to shoulder party people.

FM and RR (ranch roads) numbers have nothing to do with how 'big' they are, more or less roads got numbered as they went.  Get around metro areas and there will be some that you'd swear are interstates, with high numbers.

Snow, if you really want some fun, go the any big city in TX after any frozen precipation.  Looks like bumper cars at the fair!  Believe it or not, Houston TV crew was doing a story on the icy bridges.  Down the interstate comes some fool, way too fast, spins out kisses the concrete median.  Put it in reverse backed up, gave it the gas, did a BIG 360 (well acutally a 270) and smashed head on into the outside guardrail, all on camera.

Bandera to Kerrville is a great but narrow road.  I'd think it would be fantastic on a bike.

San Antonio Rodeo is over the 24th of Feb. (sarodeo.com)  Houston will be Feb 27 to March 17. (hslr.com or rodoehouston.com)  The Ag Mechanics contest is March 15-16, awards & moveout the 17th. (best day to go is Sat the 16th)  Seveal hundred great projects built by 4-H & FFA students, ranging from simple to18 wheeler combine trailers to farm implements.  Should be around 40 restored tractors there as well.  Many of the Chevron Delo National contest winners and finalists will come from this bunch of tractors.

Edited by twraska 1/26/2013 19:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)