AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Burns - correction
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

cfdr
Posted 1/15/2013 19:18 (#2825340)
Subject: John Burns - correction

John, I might have given you a bad link to the book recommendation (assuming that you even were interested). There are a couple of Hoover's memoirs, and this is the one that I have:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=the+memoirs+of+her...

It is Hoover's memoirs, but 1929-1941, the Great Depression.

Sorry for the mix-up.

Reading more of it, I came on these gems:

"I am squarely for a protective tariff. The proposals of our opponents would place our farmers and workers in competition with peasant and sweated labor products . . ."

"Has the Democratic party . . . ever given one single evidence of protection of the home market to the American farmer from the products raised by peasant labor on cheap land abroad?"

"I stand on the principle of protection. Our opponents are opposed to that principle."

"It is true we have the most gigantic market in the world today, surrounded by nations clamoring to get in. But it has been my belief - and it is still my belief - that we should protect this market for our own labor; not surrender it to the labor of foreign countries as the Democratic party proposes to do."

Now, wouldn't most people, if asked to choose which candidate in 1932 said those words, would have picked FDR? What a switch! But - and this is where it is just so interesting - it all becomes clear once you think about it for just a bit, doesn't it?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)