AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I continue to drink Sat's beary flavored kool-aid
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Alberta Farmer
Posted 1/14/2013 11:26 (#2821723 - in reply to #2820506)
Subject: RE: I continue to drink Sat's beary flavored kool-aid

West Central Alberta Coldest, wettest edge

Knucklebuster, please spend less time lurking, and more posting, you havce offered some very good thoughts the past while, thanks for your input.

From what I've read about OPEC, production allocation is based on proven reserves, the more reserves you have, the more you can export.  According to the peak oil theorists, this greatly skews the worlds proven reserve numbers.  For an OPEC member to be able to increase their output, they need to show higher proven reserves, as a percentage of the OPEC total.  Therefore, it is suspected that all members vastly overstate their reserves, in order to export more.  The take home being that the world may be closer to peak oil than the official numbers suggest.  For what it is worth.

I've also read that enforcement is seriously lacking, and that it is more sabre rattling, threats and promises than actual implementation.  Apparently, they are more effective at flooding the market as required to squeeze out the marginal high cost producers else where in the world when they start to look like competition, than they are at increasing the prices.  That of course flies in the face of the peak oil/inflated reserves arguement.  But could be an idea that NA grain farmers should be considering, before the rest of the world gets fully ramped up to grain production, short term pain, for long term gain...... 

Edited by Alberta Farmer 1/14/2013 11:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)