AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pics of some calves at our place...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim1_ks
Posted 1/7/2013 07:47 (#2805046 - in reply to #2804959)
Subject: RE: Pics of some calves at our place...

South Central Kansas, Harper County
Yep, that pasture is pretty bare, but it is one we generally don't stock with cattle during the summer. We normally leave it empty through the summer, then move some cattle into there come fall. We culled out cow herd pretty hard last year, and our other pastures fared pretty well. Might have to cull a little more in early spring, don't know? I do have one small 40 acre pasture, I may try to set up into some type of cell grazing, to help a little bit. On that particular place we have another 100 pasture across the road, so we have been just shuttling cattle across the road at various times throughout the year. The small one could be set up for some type of cell grazing pretty easily, if I do some more research on the topic.

We have 15 heifers calving now, and will cull the same amount of older cows to offset their new addition to the herd. Would make it easier for everybody, if this drought would end sooner than later!

We have a couple of failed Milo fields that our cowherd is grazing currantly. Should hold them through Feb, then will have to start feeding some ground hay and silage for a while.

Edited by Jim1_ks 1/7/2013 07:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)