AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I had my first chicken fried steak today, and...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 12/24/2012 18:03 (#2773660 - in reply to #2771184)
Subject: My microwave recipe

My microwave recipe would work pan fried, but I'm no pan frying expert. This works a couple times a week for me.

I keep a home made biscuit mix (used to use bisquick until one package I opened was internally animated) in a cheese shaker. I keep it covered with a suitable cover (a small plastic storage container) to keep bugs out. It is made of about 3 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of baking powder. It does make workable biscuits. Cooking for one, a batch lasts several months. I keep it in a bigger container than the cheese shaker.

I spritz the serving plate (Corelle) with spray olive oil to cut down on sticking. I sprinkle the biscuit mix, to cover the plate, maybe as much as 1/64" inch deep. I grind some black pepper on that, and sprinkle some dried parsley. I lay the thawed 1/4 pound steak cut about 3/8" thick on that, and tonight I added some pork chop seasoning on top. From Penzy's spices its mostly salt with garlic and onion powder. Its not always used here. Then I dust enough biscuit mix on top to turn the steak white, a thin layer.

I microwave on defrost (30% power) for 4 to 5 minutes. If there's some red and there usually is depending on the precision of the thickness control by the butcher (often me), I finish it for 45 seconds at 100% power to give it a sizzle. I like my steak done through, not seared on the surface and raw inside and the defrost power setting accomplishes that. If the steak is good its almost fork tender and the juices make a gravy in the plate.

I treat chicken, pork, and turkey servings much the same way except I'll add some dried rosemary or sage or poultry seasoning and I'll cook at 60% power and be sure I've cooked it plenty.

Won't hold a candle to pheasant in a bag, I'm sure. Though most pheasant hunters I know consider only the breast to be edible and that's all they keep. I expect the bag makes the whole bird quite edible and tasty.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)