AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

do you figure yardage?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jackrabbit alum
Posted 12/19/2012 15:46 (#2761864)
Subject: do you figure yardage?

southwest minnesota
The thread below about how to value feed got me thinking about this. I was talking with a few friends about feeding cattle and half the group had one opinion and the other half had another. Needless to say we never came to a concensus lol. The topic was whether to charge yourself yardage when feeding your own cattle. My take on the definition of yardage is the cost of equipment and labor per head per day (this is a shortened and simplified definition). If i own the cattle, either boughten or raised, and i am the one feeding them, why would i charge myself labor and time? The pay check i get after selling the cattle (hopefully i made money) would pay me for the labor and time. I think you should definitely figure in cost of equipment but i dont think i should figure in my time and labor as if i was hiring someone to do it. I look at it as having a job in town, you put the time in and do the work, and they give you a paycheck. Well, the cattle are my job, i put the time into feeding and caring for them and when i sell the cattle they pay me any profit (hopefully there is one). My friends argument was that if you dont figure in your time and labor and you breakeven or lose money then you worked for free, which is true, but that is a risk you take when feeding cattle. I see it as, If i wanted a steady pay check so i knew that i would never put time in and not get paid, i wouldnt feed cattle and i would go get a job in town. Sometimes with greater risk there is greater reward. I may be looking at this all wrong so i decided to post this to see what other people thought.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)