AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sorted some heifers today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

2hcattle
Posted 12/18/2012 22:05 (#2760815 - in reply to #2760696)
Subject: criteria

Southwest OK
I am only sorting for the blacks because that is what the market is paying a premium for here. I personally like red cattle, good herefords especially, but those are rare in my parts. I base a lot of my decisions on the kind of steers that made me the most money over the years. Thrifty would be #1. I like cattle that can convert dry grass into lbs. without many inputs. These heifers were on volunteer wheat till about three weeks ago. I shut them on a dry pasture with only mineral for a supplement. Today when I sorted, only heifers that were able to keep their bloom were kept as breeders. Maturity was #2 today. Not always, but these heifers have grown pretty quickly, and some of the fatter heifers didn't show the age that I was looking for. After that good feet, straight legs, deep chests and wide, long rumps. Health was another issue today. All of these heifers came from local sales and I had a fair amount of sickness go through them while backgrounding. Any heifer that had been treated twice was kicked aside. The possibility of liver, lung, or kidney damage turns me off on those. Not to mention the possibility of damage to their reproductive tract due to a high fever

She is not ideal, but close enough for me.

Edited by 2hcattle 12/19/2012 13:56

(IMG_201212191718.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_201212191718.jpg (45KB - 47 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)