AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

variable hybrid planting....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rebuilder
Posted 12/15/2012 16:22 (#2753677 - in reply to #2753649)
Subject: RE: variable hybrid planting....

Bourbon,Indiana

My question to Jason (Beck's tour guide)was.......what about harvesting......such as setting the combine, etc? I know I have to change settings many times when changing varieties. Usually just rotor speed, but other times more. I can't imagine having to change settings  that often in a round.

For example...I avg about 7 soil type changes in a swath (in one field I change 13 times in 1/2 mile). Lets say I only change hybrids three times for high-med-low producing soils. That still seems to me like alot of potential problems in harvesting/moisture differentials. I know on this farm at least, I can have wide swings in rotor loss, cobs in tank, rumbling, etc.

And that I would hate trying to figure out refuge acres, or fungicide applications on certain hybrids. ( I guess I am a rare phenomenon, as I do not spray the whole farm with fungicides, but rather pick and chose the weaker hybrids if the conditions so warrant )

And I feel Jason danced around the question.

Not trying to flush the idea....it intrigues me as well. But this is what pops into my head first.

Edited by rebuilder 12/15/2012 16:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)