AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Marketing classes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

iseedit
Posted 12/14/2012 11:54 (#2751299 - in reply to #2751276)
Subject: Re: I stand corrected ~

central - east central Minnesota -

RayJenkins - 12/14/2012 10:37 I would beg to differ that anything besides a cash sale is speculating..... I think the market conditions in both corn and beans are examples of where options or futures offer opportunities to manage risk Let's look at corn....in our market the bid for May delivery is +42K....but in this heavily inverted market structure that is also the equivalent of 142 OVER December 2013 corn futures.....those kind of numbers are "blue moon" items..... are you bullish that basis will be better than +142 over Dec 13 futures?....maybe, but the reality is that at some point in time, the basis will eventually be in the unders come next fall...... the other reason to consider futures/options is that most of these markets are offering very little in the way of carry.....if you have any reasonable use for the money, converting beans at nearly $15 to cash and purchasing options, option spreads, or futures is a prudent way to manage risk...and in the case of options creates a minimum price......in this environment, I realize that most believe markets have only one way to go....but then we are quite a ways off the 17.67 high in Jan beans, and that is with some pretty bullish news to feed on.... speculating---when it comes down to it......doing anything, or nothing, has a degree of speculation in it.... Ray J

You are correct Ray . . . and much, much more experenced then I ~
That is why i stated, "in my opinion" ~ meaning for those of us (including myself) that are ignorent to the use of marketing machanics, it's speculation (and maybe a poor term/use on my part).
You are correct in your assessment, there is a time and place to use the marketing tools along with its function. 
Thxs

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)