AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cow dog for brushing out cows ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 12/5/2012 19:37 (#2734983 - in reply to #2733838)
Subject: Re: cow dog for brushing out cows ?

south east Indiana
I agree with 2h each and every working dog breed has a reason it was developed. If you look at the AKC classification of herding breeds it is rather large. There are tending breeds, cart dogs, drovers dogs all the way to the more traditional dogs folks think of as stockdogs. I believe good stockdogs are Born not made. These dogs need to Read livestock and have the instinct needed to read the situation correctly and react. IF you watch the livestock they will tell you which dogs Have IT and which don't. I feel you can't put into a dog that knowledge from generations of dogs before them. I feel my job is to put words to what the dogs knows in it head already so we can communicate and help it figure things out when it needs help. I try to help the dog/handler team be the best they can be. It does not matter to me what breed you choose to use. I have worked with Aussies, Shepherds - GSD, Belgiums, Briards, Bearded Collies, Pacardy Shepherds, Beaucherons.(sp?)... I know since stockdogs are not so common that is does not take long to loose that instinct and many "herding dogs" have no clue. It then becomes more obedience training than working with instinct.
There are quite a few good border collie lines that are true working lines. I feel a good bc can and will do it all well. I want a dog that will gather at 700 yds, drive until I ask him to stop, work in a small pen, load livestock in trailers, push thru chutes, hold against a fence, and yes save my ass a time a two. My suggestion would be to go watch good dogs work, talk to folks, search out some good stockmen and top trainers pick their brain about the different breeds. Find a breed that suits you and then find a dog that suits you. Each individual is different and brings different strenghts and challenges to the table.
It takes lots of commitment to learn how to handle a dog and more to learn to train dogs. It is a journey to be sure. One I find incredibly enjoyable and rewarding.

Denice
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)