AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ultimate L3 rebuild
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

kstate90
Posted 12/4/2012 21:06 (#2733269 - in reply to #2732527)
Subject: Re: ultimate L3 rebuild

North Central Kansas
I had a L2 at one time. Rebuilt it once. Rebuilt it into a 1680. Never missed the L2. It was a good machine in wheat and milo but I hated it in soybeans. It would cut the knee high ones all day long but once they got taller and had any hint of green stems it was over until a killing frost and even then it liked to grind them. They are probably one of the simplest combines to rebuild. I did all of my work on my 1976 L and my 1981 L2. The L2 was an insurance machine. It was in a metal shed that had a truck catch fire and it had turned the machine black. It looked bad but was only cosmetic. I repainted the cab, fuel tank, air conditioner and the inside of the cab and acid washed the galvanized. I ran it for three years and didn't have nay major problems with it. The L that I had was wore out when I bought it. I completely rebuilt it from front to back the first year before I went to the field. About half way through wheat harvest it shelled the hydro. My cheap combine turned into an expensive one.

It seemed to me like there were some parts on the Gleaners that seemed like you were always replacing. The chains run fast and the sprockets and chains always need replace. The raddles were a common thing to replace. The bearings on the raddles never lasted much more than a season. The bearings were all common size and easy to change.

I replaced the unloading auger pivots on both machines I had. Motors were never a problem for me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)