AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Selling direct to consumer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

canadianeh?
Posted 12/1/2012 21:52 (#2727655 - in reply to #2727390)
Subject: Re: Selling direct to consumer

Saskatchewan, big whitetail country!!!
Thing is, 2.20 a lb is cheap for the buyer, as far as meat goes. They get all the prime cuts in there. To buy the equivalent at the store would probably be 3-6 times the 2.20 a lb. And, they would be getting quality, vs. not so much! I plan to do lamb this way in the future. The baaaaaaad thing for me is we are in the sticks, and so no easy, ready market, but a guy could take a monthly trip to the city if he had orders, and probably double or triple what he would get at the normal market.
It is all about showing consumers how much money they save by buying bulk, and how much better it is than store bought, bla bla bla. Consumers are suckers today, and there is a definite niche I believe of folks who will pay extra to know that they are, "hormone free, chemical free". Tapping into their fear is a great idea, something I plan to do as I said with my lambs. Guys are selling hanging lambs for 5.50 plus a lb. I may even try some pork as well. People want "real" pork now a days. A very smart older farmer once told me if he were young again, he would buy 25 sows, pasture raise them, and sell a few hundred hogs a year for a mint, because "people will pay almost anything to have that real, naturally raised pork!"
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)