AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

So you want to see some happy cows?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

tjdub
Posted 11/29/2012 23:04 (#2724318 - in reply to #2723758)
Subject: RE: So you want to see some happy cows?

Ben - 11/29/2012 17:18

Looked that up on bing so that is a marsh land you are feeding on. Have you thought of planting some plants that like wet feet? think there is a clover that likes wet feet. I sowed some once and got zero stand but my bottom is mostly Reeds Canary . Ben

Most of this area has a good amount of white clover in it, but it just won't tolerate the real soggy areas. My truck would probably have been stuck were I was dumping grain in these pictures if the ground wasn't frozen.

I have Reed Canary growing in some areas, but the cows tend to graze it down so the sedge takes over. In one area that's fairly dry, I fenced off a few acres with poly poles and a solar fencer and seeded Bird's Foot Treefoil and use that as a hay field. It isn't a great stand, but it definitely produces more for me than it was before. I've thought about trying that in one of the more waterlogged areas using a modern variety of Reed Canary, but I'm not sure how I would get it established there other than just broadcasting seed and waiting for nature to take its course. The DNR is highly concerned about Reed Canary being an invasive species that destroys natural sedge meadows. If you ask me, they should just run cattle on their natural areas for a few years and the "problem" would fix itself :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)