AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

uninstalling windows 8 ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Chimel
Posted 12/1/2012 14:03 (#2726957 - in reply to #2726821)
Subject: Re: uninstalling windows 8 ?

I have installed and used every version of MS-DOS (when it was called PC-DOS) and Windows when or before they were released, I even worked for Microsoft in the Windows and Developer divisions across 2 continents, usually upgrading automatically to the latest daily build overnight even when Windows was not yet in Beta stage. I adapted quickly to the new ribbon in Office, which offered new fantastic features that couldn't exist before, even though they removed some of the features for advanced users.

But I just cannot stand the constant switch between the Metro and Desktop interfaces in Windows 8. It just feels like a half-baked hybrid, and the interface is too much build for the touch screen, which makes sense only on a tablet.
I understand this is a temporary issue though: Windows 9 will be fully Metroified, so no more Desktop control panel items, and Microsoft and third party Metro apps will exist to replace most of what you can do on the desktop mode. There are already new mouse and touch hand devices that provide the touch experience even if you can't use a touch screen, like on a desktop or laptop computer, so that issue will also disappear eventually.
But there are still technological choices that worry me, like the fact it's not Windows anymore, but Window, with only one app displayed full screen, or two apps, with the second looking weird on one third of the screen. That's fine for tablets small screens, but it really looks bad on a desktop wide screen. I want to run several apps simultaneously and see them in several windows that I can resize according to the best layout. Even the automatic docking of apps on the sides of the screen annoys me in Windows 7, as it almost never display what I need to see in these apps, so I always disable docking.

I don't give a damn about the Start menu, I rarely use it, but the taskbar, and especially the Quick Launch bar is still the most compact way to launch the most frequently used apps and the ones used less frequently in just one click, not two or more.
And if you manage your Start menu, you can make it quite compact and efficient too. See mine below in Windows 7.
Full screen: http://goo.gl/EFfg3

Still, I'll replace my Vista multiboot drive with a Windows 8 one, or I'll use a virtual image, because I need to have the latest version to support family and friends, but I think I'll stick to Windows 7 for the next 2 years at least.

Edited by Chimel 12/1/2012 14:14

(desktop_and_start_menu.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments desktop_and_start_menu.jpg (44KB - 72 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)