AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tiling with intelislope on CORS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

agger802
Posted 11/23/2012 21:51 (#2713300 - in reply to #2712491)
Subject: RE: Tiling with intelislope on CORS

NE MO & W IL
We tiled with MODOT CORS and MY WAY RTK last year with an intellislope on a goldigger stealth. The first few jobs we did had plenty of natural slope on the runs, so I wasn't to afraid to try it before dumping the money for a base. From an accuracy standpoint, I was very impressed. You can check your tip elevation within the intellislope and I would purposely check it when I was sitting idle or when I was lowered down in the pit. It flucuated a bit, but never more than 2 tenths of an inch. Usually only a tenth. Granted, I was always within 20 miles of a CORS/VRS base. It flucuated more on My Way than MODOT. My complaint with cellular VRS was keeping a lock on it during the late morning and losing it by treelines due to cellular strength. We would always sit from about 10:30 to 12 last november and december due to losing a connection. And then again mid afternoon. I'm not entirely sure if it was satelite sharing issues(between Paradyme and VRS), atmospheric issues, or firmware issues that were giving us fits. Was told all 3 depending on who I consulted. Unlocking our Paradyme to GLONASS would have probably solved some of our problems, but I was and still am too stubborn to give them 1800 to do so(it should be free upgrade for what you pay for the Paradyme). And forget backing under trees for a main. We'd have to backhoe out aways before we set down to pull. So, bottom line, it CAN be done, but there can be issues. I think its fine is you have plenty of slope to compensate for the few tenths you may be off, especially on bigger tile sizes.

We went to an infield base this fall, mainly because it didn't cost much due to a situation I fell into. But we wanted to be as accurate and efficient as possible this season, and an in field base is hands down the BEST way to do it, but not the ONLY way. We are doing some pretty flat fields with 1/4 mile runs on 20 ft. centers with 3 inch tile( .15-.2% grad), so there is not much room for error. I was watching the tip elevation the other day and it was flucuating at the 100th level, never at the 10th level. And 8-10 full hours of RTK, no down time, so we're pretty happy we got the base, but you can still lay pipe with certain VRS/CORS networks and still do a good job if you watch what is going on. Sorry for the book...:)

Edited by agger802 11/23/2012 21:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)