AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

UHF/VHF Radios
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 11/15/2012 10:00 (#2698466 - in reply to #2698262)
Subject: RE: UHF/VHF Radios

Southeast Wyoming

airboll - 11/15/2012 06:10

I checked yesterday and all of our VHF radios are too old to update.  Dad's current license is set to expire shortly plus I would have to spend $100+ to change the name on the license into my name.  What I am wondering is that if I have to apply for a new license and get new radios, should a person look at going to a UHF radio?  I guess with UHF I could run a repeater if needed.  I have no idea what that costs.  What are some other benefits to UHF over VHF?  Thanks

I don't know where this idea comes from that you cannot get a repeater license for VHF.  I've had one for a couple years.  Maybe it is difficult/impossible to get in urban areas but I had no trouble "here". 

I have talked on my handheld (through the repeater) to my brother some 50 miles away, granted he was on a ridge.

I'd hurry up and modify the license to include narrowband and change the name.  Adding a frequency for using a repeater is going to cost for the coordination fee.  I'd suggest looking into that at this time also.  It may require abandoning the old frequency in order to get compatible frequencies.  So I'd look into that soon before I renewed the old license.

My searches for a repeater usually brings up used uhf repeaters that are cheaper than vhf repeaters, probably because they are more common.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)