AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does anyone use there farm semi to haul over the road during the off season?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

IADAVE
Posted 11/15/2012 20:02 (#2699206 - in reply to #2697976)
Subject: Re: Does anyone use there farm semi to haul over the road during the off season?

Well , Hilltop here is how it goes. Some body called in a jam yesterdayand would pay what it took to make a little hopefully. I started working on the load in the office at 3 pm yesterday. Got the truck moving with the driver by 4. Got the paperwork done by 5. Went outside to do what I had planned on until dark. I lost most of the afternoon on the deal. I started out this morning looking for a load h9me at 7a.m. Thought we were set by 8:05. Waited on confirmation until 9. He called and there is a problem. OK we will take the changed destination if they will pay the same $$. 9:30 he calls back we are good to go. 10:00 no contract yet so I call him. 10:30 he calls back and the destination is wrong. We agree on a price for a new destination. 11:00 he calls everything is set. Still no PU #. 11:20 we have an origin. Driver arrives to PU load. at 12:00 Pu# is wrong.12:30 everything is straightened out and truck is sent to a lot to go wait for them to get the load ready.
Meantime since our load no longer came right home I had to find another load. At 11:30 I have another load but need to clear with driver the schedule. We guess late for an appointment so we can make it but my driver will probably sit for either 4 hours waiting to unload or he will end up waiting 4 hours for his load home. By 3:30 we have the paperwork done on this load plus some extra work for license done in the meantime. At 4:00 I am headed out the door to begin the day that I had planned to start by 8:30. My driver will make $705 by tomorrow night. I will make $250 roughly on a days work with an investment of around $70,000. Remember the load going out was cherry picked and I would have probably been just making a job otherwise. This is assuming I get paid from every one and it will take me at least 90 days if I am lucky to get my money back. Realistically it will take $100( 5%) out of this load to cover the dead beats over the year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)