AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help on JD 9760 STS Combine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jd7730
Posted 11/12/2012 22:28 (#2694100 - in reply to #2693776)
Subject: Re: Help on JD 9760 STS Combine

SE MN
I think there is a better option than a chain. To continue running a 12 row chopping head or even the 608c stalkmaster, as you said, you can put on a fixed speed feederhouse drive or, you could maybe update your drive to the 70 series "high torque" variable speed drive...but to do that you might have to change the reverser as well, which would get to be expensive. If you are thinking about a modification to a chain drive and then being able to change the sprockets to variate the speed on the feederhouse, I would consider changing it over to fixed and then having a machine shop make you two pulleys for your reverser gearbox so that you could use fixed speed belts and then change the pulleys from corn to beans. My neighbor with a 9770 even changed his high torque variable speed to a fixed speed this year to accommodate his new 12 row chopping head to avoid problems. If you are only going 4-5 mph you may satisfied with the feederhouse speed if you change the sprockets on the head. We had the same trouble on our 9610 and I updated it to a 60 series drive which works well for that combine, but it still gets warmer than I like...I keep a close watch on the rpm whenever I pick corn. If I was to do it over again, I would have put the 60 series fixed speed on it and had another pulley made for the reverser to speed it up for corn. I think there should be enough extra travel on the belt tensioner to do this.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)