AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help, or Dave will have to sleep in a tin shed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 11/13/2012 11:16 (#2694766 - in reply to #2693843)
Subject: Re: Help, or Dave will have to sleep in a tin shed

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

dairymanswife - 11/12/2012 19:52 That is what we were hoping Dave would get is Cpap machine from having the sleep study done.

I have had two sleep studies, one before surgery to open up my breathing passages, one after to determine if I still needed C-pap.  The first sleep study showed my oxygen level falling below fifty percent at times.  This is drastic, they put on oxygen in the hospital between 80 and 90 percent, depending on the patient.  This shows all those years my wife and friends in the dorm put up with my violent snoring was possibly causing brain damage. ( Yeah, thats it!  My diminished brain ability was caused from snoreing, yeah, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! )  After surgery and some time to recover, the oxygen level went to 80 percent or so, was still advised to wear the c-pap, and if I go on a trip and forget the machine, I have trouble sleeping.

My point, a person who needs C-pap may actually be harming himself, not only annoying those around him.  It would be very advisable to get the sleep study for his health alone.

The last C-pap I bought was from c-pap plus, I believe, you will find it on google.  In the beginning of buying from them, I had to send a prescription for them to set the machine to the correct level.  The last machine I bought was an automatic, that sets it's own level.  I prefer the ones I have that are set to my doctor's orders, but that may be just because I was used to it at the beginning.  My hospital charged about double the charge from online purchases, when my first one went bad, I just hated to ding my health insurance with such charges, so ordered it online, and could see no difference in quality, in fact, bought the same model as the one I was originally issued from my sleep study.

If you can't get your husband to have a sleep study, I would try to order an automatic online, they can be purchased from five hundered to a thousand with accessories.  I don't know if they will sell an automatic with out a prescription, but since they do not need to be preset, it may be possible. 

I did find the hose to my facemask originally was a little too short to be comfortable for me while sleeping, ordered one twice as long and like it better, if I can keep it from getting tangled in something.  There is a lot of different in face masks also, some are easier to use than others.  What works for some people may not work well for others, may have to experiment in that area, and the masks are not cheap, but not using one may not be so economical either.  I have found the smaller masks work for me, was surprised, as I have a rather large face. 

Just remember, proper breathing while sleeping can affect your mental health and alertness on the job.  Spending money in this area is not an expense, it is a necessity!!           

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)