AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover Crop Pics - Follow up to Trial Results
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pvafarm
Posted 11/13/2012 07:55 (#2694477 - in reply to #2694418)
Subject: Re: Cover Crop Pics - Follow up to Trial Results

Southeast WI
As I look back at my notes I see those sprayer pics were taken on Nov 14, 2011. Since the soils are so shallow I really don't want anything growing in front of a corn crop. I'm always worried about losing soil moisture in the top 3-4" of soil and then germination is delayed. And in southern WI the middle of November is about the end of the growing season for cool season crops, so all I was really doing was killing out the volunteer w. wheat. The oats and radishes looked great, but in a normal year they would be froze out in the next week or two. Last year they would have been green in January...

I was planning on spraying this years radish/oats/crimson clover out over the past weekend but we had high winds on Saturday and then wind and rain Sunday so that didn't happen. And today it is 15 degrees F out, really damaging the radish and this will kill the oats of completely. It is going to warm up into the upper 40's and about 50 into the weekend so I will get them sprayed yet.

Using a normal N rate and a much higher rate at side-dress time didn't show any difference this year, but with low yields it's hard to draw conclusions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)