AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When it rains, it rains...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

CentralNEFarmer
Posted 6/18/2006 02:47 (#20218 - in reply to #19942)
Subject: RE: When it rains, it rains...

Custer County, Nebraska
Much needed, much appreciated.

Just the night before, I was cultivating. I had to stop, not because of rain, or malfunction, but because I couldn't see what I was doing. The wind came up, probably clocking in excess of 50+mph and I got a front row seat of what the dust bowl days were. I literally could not see far enough ahead to finish the little I had left in that particular field.

The pivot completely disappeared from view, and I could see each individual wave of dirt come rolling across the field.

Finally received in the 2 inch area. First inch came nice and gentle, soaking in. Second inch like a banshee running off and washing out parts of my fields.

I'll take it, good trade.

Before I was looking at a colossal disaster. I still have huge areas of fields that have not germinated due to lack of rainfall. Up to this point, since April I have only received around .50 inch rain.

I am still in major major trouble, but at least now I feel I have a shot, not good, but a shot at some sort of dryland crop. When the bare spots fill in, I might have green soybeans come fall and wet dryland corn, but it at least feels better to see *something* growing instead of bare ground.

Edited by CentralNEFarmer 6/18/2006 03:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)