AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Finished Planting...Again!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 6/16/2006 23:05 (#19967 - in reply to #19937)
Subject: RE: Finished Planting...Again!!

Don't feel alone Mark.

I'm off to the worst start I've ever had with corn too. I thought last year was bad for replanting but this year was even worse. I vowed I would not plant too early this year and get burned again like last year but it still turned out bad. Corn planted last of April is a good stand and looking decent although still seems stunted and slow getting going.  Corn planted in that May 7,8,9 time frame  followed by 12 days of cold wet weather and no sun had horrible stands. I ended up killing the first stand and replanting last week of May only to get to get 2.5 inches of rain pounded onto it a couple days later and putting lots of it under water. I rotary hoed it as soon as I could manage to get across it. Those stands are again less than the perfect stands I always strive for. I  finally ended up replanting a no till field 1/2 of it for the 3rd time and the rest of it for the 2nd time on the 5th of June.

Had 1 field of beans planted on the 10th of May that took 2 weeks to get up and are thin but the beans planted after the 20th of May were all up in 4 days and have slightly surpassed the May 10 planting. Miraculously most survived the 2.5" rain and ponding. Only a few areas are drowned out but others are smothered and covered with a thick layer of floated up residue. Of course that is mainly where I have to look at it every day. I would have destroyed more trying to get into and replant those areas and doubt much would have grown in 8 inches of bean stubble & cornstalk trash that will be muddy underneath  for quite some time.

MY RANT:

My personal opinion is there has been way too much emphasis placed on $ generating traits and not enough emphasis on sound agronomics of seedling vigor,roots and stalks. It's not been a specific company's seed in this area either everyone is complaining about problems getting a viable stand on beans and corn no matter what brand they planted.  I know of lots of acres that have been replanted 3 times with beans and folks are still disgusted with the stands they have. I think we need to get back to basics on quality seed that can handle these adverse conditions and take a much tougher stance on who pays for all this stuff that needs replanted.

In all my years I never had to replant corn until the last 2 years. Seems the seed simply can't stand any adversity at all anymore. My theory is there are some weak genetics at the top of the breeding programs and those weak traits have filtered out into nearly all the other companies crosses. I'm sure I'll get ripped for this but nobody else has a viable explanation other than it must be weather and poor timimg. We've had a lot of adverse weather over the years though and previous genetics were always able to cope and survive without needing replanting. Seems all these fancy seed treatments are letting us down in preventing problems maybe we need to go back to the old Captan treatment and forget the rest. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)