AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

killing rye grass in wheat??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Cturner
Posted 11/7/2012 05:14 (#2683285 - in reply to #2680159)
Subject: RE: killing rye grass in wheat??

Pleasant Hills, NSW Australia
Welcome to my world!!! Theres heaps of products to kill ryegrass out of wheat if you don't have resistence to them and the timing you described will be ideal, the trade names will be different but you'll figure it out - Hoegrass / Tristar / Achieve and Axial. Add sulfate of ammonia at 1kg/100L water and the correct surfactant and 100L of water per ha. Use nozzles with a medium droplet size (or fine if you can get away with it). Be very careful with the above mentioned chems as the ryegrass will become resistent to them very quickly. Here in aus we have huge problems with diploid ryegrass which is basically the same as italian rye, we have no post emergent options in wheat any more and we got very few in canola any more either. Roundup resistence is becomeing more common and someone on a grass seed farm has even managed to get it resistent to gramoxone. Trifluralin has been the mainstay of our pre-em program and still is, we spray it before we sow and incorporate it with the tyned implement in such a way that it throws the triflur into a band between the rows as you sow - speed has to just right so that you throw enough dirt to incorporate the triflur but to much as to land all the treated dirt in the seed row (not as hard as it seems and work really well with presswheels or a seedhawk/conserva pak type seeder) doing it this way you can increase the rate from 800mls/ha to 2-3L/ha. Only catch is have to incorporate with in 24hrs. Never had much success with pendemethrin, not sure why but just dont. Cheap sulfonureas are good as well (if you don't have resistence, ryegrass also develops resistence quickly to this group as well) Logran and glean do a good job pre em or post sow pre em - the best mix while it worked was 2L triflur and 35gms Logran/ha pre em, worked great and also did a job on most of the early broadleaf weeds. Dual gold at 300mls/ha post sowing pre em has some effect on suppressing ryegrass as well (just don't overlap, double rates can really knock the crop if you have heavy rain after). Some guys have used 700mls of dual gold pre em and incorparated in the same manner I described for the triflur (usally with the triflur) but it can totally smoke the crop if you get heavy rain in 2-4 weeks after the crop is germinated and wash the chem into the seed furrow - I would'nt try it. I could'nt imagine that ryegrass would become a big issue for you if have summer crops and winter fallows in your systems. If you have anymore questions about ryegrass control just email me or contact via forum - its a HUGE thing in aus and theres lots of different things you can do depending on the situation.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)