AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low use well, rusty water
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

guessrow
Posted 11/1/2012 07:31 (#2671901)
Subject: Low use well, rusty water

Le Sueur VIA St.Thomas
My mom's well has seen very little use over the last few years. Baths, a load of laundry here and there, 10 minutes of watering the garden here and there in the summer constitute the bulk of her usage. The water seems poorer over the last few years; (slightly)odd tasting, rusty, etc. I want to fix her water issues but not sure where to start.

The well was replaced 10 or 15 years ago and at the time a new plastic water line was ran to the house (1" or 1 1/4" line). The 3 yr old water softener is a good one and she just had it serviced, so it is in working order. Everything else (I think) is 60+ years old. What should I do next?

The pressure tank is big (80-100 gal?). It's an old bladderless galvanized unit. I have to fill it with air from time to time, and when I drain it to add air, rust pours out of the bottom drain. My guess is that it's full of rust/sediment. Replace it? How big of a tank does she need (now or for future/larger use)? The water lines are galvanized as well and likely of retirement age as well. Could they be part of the problem? 1 kitchen, 1 bathroom, 1 utility room- all close range.

Should I do before and/or after water testing? Do those home water test kits work? Finally, a well guy told me once that a low use well will benefit from from a big draw from time to time. He suggested turning on an outside faucet/hose and letting the water run as fast as possible out of it for a day or two if I remember correctly. Any thoughts?

good luck -jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)