AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Florida car . . .
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ernie
Posted 10/31/2012 13:33 (#2670609 - in reply to #2670426)
Subject: Minnesota car ........ .

North End I-15
I bought a 51 mercury in 1956 in Minneapolis . The car of teenagers dream . Was 400 $ of bale picking , rock picking money . First day out .Had a flat tire . When I pulled the spare out of the trunks side fender well , I could see the road ! When I threw the flat tire in to the trunk it fell through onto the gas tank!
Got as far west as Glasgow MT and motor was knocking . Left the car at Ford dealer . They rebuilt engine installing a reground crankshaft . 2 weeks later I was back in Glasgow for 4-H leadership camp . Picked up car and out another 150 $ for repair work .
Drove it slowly home following "break in procedure" . Was a slow trip home so decided to take a short cut the last 40 miles or so as the fellow riding with me lived about 10 miles past my place and the short cut would drive by his place first.
About 20 miles in to the short cut the engine lost oil pressure and started knocking . Being we were out in the middle of now where , late at night , we decided to make a run for it the last 20 miles .
Got home around midnight .
The ext morning I noticed there were no rocker panels left !
After a pull of the pan , It was noted the rod caps were full of shavings . It seems they forgot to blow out the crank shaft journals after grinding .
Dealer said "not my problem"
My teenage dream of a car had turned in to a real nightmare money pit !

Never bought another car from a salt state again . :-)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)