AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Should I be turning my cows out on freshly harvested soybean fields?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

proud2Bafarmer
Posted 10/25/2012 20:40 (#2660917)
Subject: Should I be turning my cows out on freshly harvested soybean fields?

Baldwin City, KS
The post below from the young man that lost 44 heifers, has me somewhat nervous about the unknown. First off, that is an absolutely terrible loss that you suffered, if you are reading this, and I wish you nothing but the best with your recovery from it. What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger, and you are now bound to be one tough SOB before it is all over. Anyway, I have never turned cows out on a harvested soybean field before, for no reason other than the situation never has presented itself. This year, I happen to have two separate pastures that adjoin fenced in bean fields. I will be harvesting, possibly as early as tomorrow and intended to turn the cows out on the stubble.
There has been shatter loss to at least the tune of 5 beans per sq ft and it hasn't rained in ever. Do I run a significant risk of killing my cattle with beans swelling in their gut's? This is something I would never have really considered, but the post below is extremely alarming to me, as it could affect 32 cows and 48 heifers, which would be the nails in my financial coffin, were I to lose most of them. Thanks for the info, and once again, very sorry for your situation, cornhuskerfarmer. Please remember to look to the good Lord for guidance and always weigh your positives. This too shall pass.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)