AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For those of you who have hedged more than you were able to produce
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 10/25/2012 10:19 (#2660045 - in reply to #2660008)
Subject: Re: For those of you who have hedged more than you were able to produce

For me, insurance is only to save me from taking a giant step back any given year. I do not intend to use it to make a bucketload of money. I just want to prevent extremely dire financial situations.

In the early spring of 2012 I thought to myself, "corn is at $5.40. I think we'll have opportunities to market at $6+ cash corn this year but if I'm wrong and it goes to $3.00, I'll have a tough time paying bills if I grow 75% of my APH". I was under the impression that if bushels produced >= APH times coverage level, I would not get anything no matter what the price did.

Because of this, I sold 40% of my projected production which was still a fair amount less than acres times APH times coverage level.

The truth is that the worst case scenario for me was my APH times my coverage level times $5.68 even if I did produce 75% of my APH. This year, that dollar figure was a fairly profitable number for me. With my belief that prices were going to go up, if I had understood how I was protected, I definitely would not have contracted anything.

I'm not saying that you should not forward contract. I'm just saying that with the mindset I had at the time, I would not have forward contracted anything this year and I would now be in a much better position. Being under the impression that crop insurance only protected bushels you DON'T make was an expensive mistake for me this year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)