AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

WOW ! It's been a little tight here the last few days...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 10/9/2012 02:30 (#2631077)
Subject: WOW ! It's been a little tight here the last few days...

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
Boy it's going to a long fall/winter if the bricking keeps up! Cousinit, I would like to offer a suggestion, but I'm sure you will take offense to it but here goes. If you could type your replies in a draft form in Word or something, then sit back and do something else, go back an read edit your post trying not to add fuel to a fire. I'm not picking on you, there is a lot of people that would be better served to follow this advice. I realize people an in a hurry, and post thing when they have a spare minute, but a person needs to reread their post so hope to portray the right response. It is tough to see a person facial expressions, tone of voice, etc. when we read a short post on the Internet.

We live in a new information age where data is available on anybody, anytime, anywhere it is scary! It wasn't cool when that dirt was drug up on your farm, you sent me a e-mail a year or go about it, when it came up before, and I stuck up for you. That I wouldn't post that info here, I had found it in a search about you when you first started to post here. I will tell you that information scared the hell out of me! That is type of information was available to the public. There isn't any privacy for the Ag sector. I guess we need to get the Government to post on line everybody and the amounts of welfare, food stamps, subsidized home loans, etc. So everybody and squeal on everybody when you see wronging. It is getting too crazy!

Here is a link to the National Dairy Farm http://nationaldairyfarm.com/index.html Click on residue prevention in header to get it. They should have sent you and every dairy producers a book on milk and dairy beef drug residue prevention, at least the Idaho Dairymen sent me one or I got it at a meeting in about 2010 or 2011? It is a very good manual. You can also view it or download it from website. I would encourage all livestock producers to get a hold of a copy. However it doesn't address swine or poultry.

This part is for Jim and others, this drug residue is serious business! I in fact know of a big dairy ( they own three dairies) in Idaho that had violations, well they are restricted to only shipping cattle one day a month, even day old bull calves. nothing leaves with out the Gov. involved in it. Even the brand inspectors are there, everything is tested as it leaves farm. They did it to themselves, I don't feel sorry of them. It was repeat violations after violations.

I own dairy and beef cows Jim, one day everything is fine with milk cows then the next day you have a cow down, or came up with respiratory problems. It's a tough call do you treat, ship, or put them down. It's a 70-120 mile trip for me to ship, that's if during the week. I wish I had $50 for every cow or calf I've put down over the years, because it's not cost affective to dump $300 meds. then hold for 30-60 days. Then sell for $200-300. Better to cut losses, that's why I have a backhoe, we have dead pit on farm managed under Idaho law for dead pits.

These test for residues are very sensitive, I send milk test on every fresh cow or treated cow to milk lab to be tested BEFORE going in tank, that's where my waste milk comes from to feed my calves 70-90 days on whole milk. I've sent samples in on fresh heifers that have never been treated, only vaccines in its life time and they show a inhibitor in milk, this is even after 30 days. But I ask plant to run a more costly test, they will be clean. I was told a long time ago that these test were like finding a few kernels of corn in a 60' tall silo that's full! That is amazing if the tests are that sensitive.

About 18 years ago I got a call from state somebody? I had a false positive come up on a cull beef cow for Bangs. She had been raised on the ranch, vacc. as a calf. But she showed hot, we got a phone interview over it. We take Bangs, Trich, etc. here on the ranch seriously. So mistakes can happen, I'm glad they test for thing like this. I was born premature, they didn't expect me to live. I had so many different meds. as a young kid. It wrecked my teeth, I've been immune to some antibiotics. It's all the high powered stuff for me now. Plus I was born and live in a high radiation area as a young kid, when dad worked for the government. Everybody is now questioning if that caused some of my problems today. Don't know. RPC and Badger have met me in person, they will verify that they left me in the incubator too long as a baby! As I'm not a little person.

I really think most all producers take this and withholding times seriously. When I came into the dairy over twenty + years they just tied a bale twine in sick cows leg treated cow, milked in dump bucket left cow in main herd, then just put milk back in tank after holding time expired and milk looked clean. Not today cow is pulled sent to sick pen, treated, tested before back in herd. Now if a cow comes down with mastitis more than twice in it's life time we cull her. To risky to infect others in herd. I would rather lose one cow than 10-20 cows from it. But milking protocol and tools, products have made this a lot easier today.

Well I guess I better end this long post, but I can't sleep got a chemo treatment today, they put over 25 mg of Dexamethasone in it. Boy does that get me pinging off the walls of about three to four days, and gets me eating like a pig. That's something I don't need! LOL Good thing is it takes all my aches and pains away for the week. I really have to watch my temper when on Dex. as it makes me cranky. My kids and wife will vouch for that!

So I hope that if anything come of this post here, is that somebody will ask or download the drug manual for there use guide for use. I hope people don't take this post wrong and get their panties in a twist ( men & women )! That wasn't the intent. LOL

Edited by Russ In Idaho 10/9/2012 02:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)