AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Some cattle pics from today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 9/21/2012 13:34 (#2602384 - in reply to #2602219)
Subject: Re: Some cattle pics from today

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Douglas,

I interseed a persistent, innoculated, red clover seed along with a clover based pasture mix in the early spring with a rented no-till drill when I see a pasture with grass only.  

I like red clover in the mix as a source of free pasture nitrogen fertilizer and also as a forage source that seems to come on or stay strong in warmer weather when the grasses start to peter out. 

So far it seems like once I do this I have not had to reseed.  A couple pastures I interseeded 5 years ago still have a good stand of red clover. It seems a key is to not graze it down to low and let it regrow to about 10" or higher before grazing again.

I am hoping that with the distributed manure from rotational grazing providing all P & K + and clovers providing N that I don't need to fertilize pastures. The last few years od soil tests show this is working.

I am going to apply some AMS to a couple pastures in the next week or so to see if it boosts early spring growth the way it did this year in an accidental experiment.

Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)