AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cornsilage debate
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

yongfarmer89
Posted 9/4/2012 09:14 (#2574271 - in reply to #2574215)
Subject: Re: Cornsilage debate

whitesville new york
It does take the neighbor 2 weeks to chop his corn but he could push harder and he has the help. When I was feeding his cornsilage the 24 by 80 silo got empty and started feeding out of another silo that was the last he chopped. He talk that is was go a be real dry but it was still wet in my opinion. I have no plans in buying cornsilage from him next year because I am putting up twice as much. The price was right this year, 40$ a ton, and only 3/4 of a mile away and I thought I was going to be short hay.

Last year it took my dad and I 4 days to chop 200 ton and only chopped 2 loads on day 4 because if a break down on day 3. I think I have a neighbor lined up to help haul wagons and with our really nice corn crop this year I'm hoping we can chop most of it in a week. I do have corn that is in different maturity so no big hurry to get started here. Last year all my samples came back in the 50-55% moisture range and it made nice feed and the cows loved it. Hauling water isn't cheap either.

Edited by yongfarmer89 9/4/2012 09:46
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)