AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean row widths and variety
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

M
Posted 6/15/2006 08:51 (#19629 - in reply to #19497)
Subject: RE: Soybean row widths and variety

Really i don't even look to see if a variety is thin line or bush ,most are semi bush to bush and can compensate either way. I don't get hung up on this or that type of plant, wether it has K gene or whatever. I look at one thing only ,Yield. If the variety yields well in all the plots and farmers fields,narrow and wide included, thats what I sell or plant myself. I have not seen any corelation between bush beans yielding more planted on 30's vs 15. My feeling is any variety can be narrow rowed here in the upper midwest unless it has terrible white mold tolerance, but I have not had any problems with the newer varieties.
All I know is that the narrow rows yield more in my plots, my fields and university data for umpteen years running.
If 10 inch row beans are planted at the correct population and spacing , they will intercept more sunlight in a given season than 30 inch rows.
I still believe farmers are giving up yield not planting narower rows or planting earlier. I still see way to many beans planted the second half of may instead of the first half.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)