AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What feed do you pile, bag or bale?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

alwinefarms
Posted 7/22/2012 10:20 (#2499522 - in reply to #2499507)
Subject: Re: What feed do you pile, bag or bale?

South Central PA
My opinion is it depends on end use and also what is available to you. We've done all 3 in the last few years. We use to pack and cover our silage, dumped @ the pack site w trucks then stacked and packed with wheel loader and 4wd articulated tractor. We had some decent stacking pad area but not concrete so then moved to bagging silage. We liked the bagging because of no aditional time needed to stack and cover etc. Spoilage was alot less for us making the switch but mostly in our case because we didnt have a good enough of a pad site. We still bag silage usign trucks with a dumping station that we set next to the bagger. At the same time we now also wrap forage as well. The deciding factor between which route we go has to do with what volume we will be harvesting. I hate to fool with setting up the bagger and such only for a few acres. Have a guy close who just leaves a bagger set up all summer and just starts and stops in the same bag as he chops and doesnt seem to have spoilage issues where he stops at for a week or so between harvesting. I also like having square or round bales wrapped because its simpler for us for feeding heifers that way. The idea of being able to sell the wrapped hay (both dry and baleage) has always been an option which is why last year we put up alot that way, but guys wouldnt buy at last years prices let alone where the market needs to be to keep up with this year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)