AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Will the Irrigated also be short?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

00rooster
Posted 7/18/2012 17:41 (#2492932 - in reply to #2492867)
Subject: Re: Will the Irrigated also be short?

The dilemma is whether to keep pumping water when you have enterprise units. Dryland is near zeroing out, and you'll produce less than your guarantee, so every bushel you make from irrigation water only helps the insurance company. That being said, I want the bushels to market, and I don't want to screw up my irrigated APH's, so I'll continue pumping, but am not going to try and get the cream(its not there anyhow with the heat). I suppose if you sit down with a calculator and go through a number of different scenarios you can find some circumstances where its not in your best interest to continue irrigating, but if you do re-ownership and play the cards right having the bushels in a short supply year is going to be good.

I've seen some post from S NE and KS farmers who claim they are able to keep irr and dry separate on their enterprise crop insurance, and I'd love to know how they do that...EVERYONE I've asked about it said that it can't be done, unless ALL irrigated and ALL dry are in separate counties. Either they have agents who don't know what they are doing, or they have agents that are very clever.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)