AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Since the crop duster brought up SWIA crops and complaints, I thought I'd share a pic
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

marbro1
Posted 7/12/2012 17:39 (#2481595)
Subject: Since the crop duster brought up SWIA crops and complaints, I thought I'd share a pic

Southwest Iowa
I'm not bashing whoever posted yesterday about his son crop dusting here in SWIA and saying how the guys were complaining about the size of their ears but I thought I'd share what I found out in a field of mine today when I went out in the rows and took a look at a few plants.

This field was planted around the 22nd of April with a population around 33K. I had about 8-10 acres worth of seed from a hybrid that I finished planting out before dumping in the next one. The 2 ears by each other is the 1st hybrid, the 4 laying the same way is the 2nd. You can see the 1st hybrid pollinated out better then the 2nd. All of the plants look healthy but we're starting to see some heat/lack of moisture stress show up through most of the fields. There is very little disease or insect pressure at the moment from what I could see.

This is a typical field around here with terraces and hills and and a good 40 acre creek bottom. This farm has ranged from 170-220 the past 5 years with an average probably around 185. If we get some moisture soon, I think 185 is still a possibility. If we don't, it'll be hard to ballpark a figure for another month or so.

I know alot of places are burnt up and won't yield squat already. There are guys chopping and brush hogging their fields as I'm typing this. I don't want anybody to think I'm bit**ing about what we have here, but thought I'd share a picture of what our corn looks with the one drought monitor keeping us here still in the "white" area of things.

Marbro1

(2012-07-12_16-19-16_881.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2012-07-12_16-19-16_881.jpg (43KB - 89 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)