AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I hope eyes are WIDE open for this......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Illinois Steve
Posted 7/12/2012 22:35 (#2482115 - in reply to #2481948)
Subject: Re: I hope eyes are WIDE open for this......

North Central Illinois
You're the one that brought "That Guy" up. Not me. Yep 250 was my best field average and about 225 for the whole operation. I have had a field or two come close to 250 but not hit is since. I've also been at 218 twice in the past five years for a whole farm average. With the start we got off to this year 230 or better was in the cards for an average. Not to be. Without climbing in the attic I don't know what my five year average was in 1988 but I'm guessing around 170 or so. So I might not be 50 bushel better than 88 but it is close to 45. I'm not giving full credit to the seed and I'm not saying the seed is worth the price we are paying. What I am saying is that the seed we are using now is head and shoulders better than 25 years ago. I'm not talking about the traits necessarily either. Just look at the health package some of these non gmo hybrids have compared to then. You are correct that in a full blown close to zero drought these hybrids won't fare any better. Under moderate stress or maybe even a little worse there is no comparison. Plant breeding has come a long way in 25 years. If it were offered would you buy 1988 hybrids at a price converted to today's dollars? Not being a wise guy. Just asking.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)