AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are prices too high ???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 7/11/2012 19:35 (#2479964 - in reply to #2479913)
Subject: Food in the US is cheap (compared to the rest of the world)

Pittsburg, Kansas

I don't know if food is too cheap or too high, but I do know that food in the US has to be one of the cheapest places in the world to eat. Travel about any place else and food A. costs more and B. portion size in restaurants are much smaller.

I can eat for two bucks (plus taxes) at Taco Bell and get a beefy burrito, small bag of Doritos, and a drink. That is all the calories I need at my age and activity. Very few places around the world can a person "eat out" for two bucks any more.  I can eat at a local steak house that has been around as long as I have and for under 25 bucks can get a first class steak bigger than I can hardly eat, choice of potato, bread and a salad. ANY PLACE I have ever eaten over seas that meal would have been most likely twice the price or half or less the amount of food.

I gripe about the prices in the grocery store like everyone else. But there are not many places in the world that a person can come even close to eating as cheaply or as good as the US.

We are heading to Bonaire for several weeks and will be taking four grandsons for the first two weeks. Bonaire is close to Venezuela so food prices are actually not terribly bad but I would say it will cost us at least a third more at the grocery store and about double if we eat out (not likely with four ravenous teenage boys). Here at home they get to pile on the ham, lunch meat and cheese on their sandwiches. There they will get rationed on meat and eat a lot of pancakes and pasta, LOL.

Fact is, we eat cheap here in the US compared to most of the rest of the world. Same goes for gasoline prices.

John

Edited by John Burns 7/11/2012 19:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)