AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ky & tn farmers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

TrentonKY
Posted 7/11/2012 08:23 (#2479029 - in reply to #2477911)
Subject: RE: Ky & tn farmers

Trenton, KY
Since Sunday night we have gotten right at 1" total. On Monday I looked at the worst 2/3 of our corn on ground that has a 10 year APH of 162 and I seriously think it will be a miracle if it makes over 80 bpa as an average. On our best soil the ears have pollinated great only to decide pretty quickly that they needed to trim back in length. In every hybrid I looked on the best soil types we are generally looking at a 16x30 cob and a final stand of 27-27.5 K. Usually these spots will have a whole soil type average of around 180-200 or more on the best years, and this year it looks like we'll be down around 130-150. But the worst part is when you look at the poorer soils, because its gets ugly quick, you may shuck back 4 little bitty ears in a row and there only be a kernel here and there or none at all, then you might come up on a few in a row that are 14-16 round and maybe 10 long. Considering the fields and soil types as I know them I think it will be one of those crops I'll be telling my kids about just like my dad has told me so many times about 1983' and 1988'. The other 1/3 of our corn had about 2" more water under it when the heat and drought pressure started so badly, and that was huge for that corn. That farm also is where our later season hybrids were planted and we think that farm might average 130-140. Our double crop beans have responded nicely to these little showers, but they are a long way from the finish line!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)