AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover Crop after Corn Silage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

kef
Posted 7/8/2012 17:32 (#2473867)
Subject: Cover Crop after Corn Silage

central Ohio
Corn silage will come off around first week of September and I'm considering my options for a cover crop. I used the full rate of 2 qt. atrazine w/preplant herbicide this Spring, and I'm wondering how that would affect annual ryegrass, or any other grasses I might consider (its dry here too). I will probably have dairy manure applied either Fall or Spring. I will likely grow corn in this field again next year, but I'm leaving my options open at this point. Here are some things I'm considering:

1) Having a neighbor use Kinze brush meters to plant radishes and annual ryegrass in alternating 15" rows.
2) Spinning the same mix on with a grass seeder and working in with a turbo till
3) Planting some other mix with PP V-Set meters on 30" centers. I'm thinking that I can then notill corn inbetween the rows next Spring.....radishes and peas?....radishes and wheat?...or something else

I'll need different v-set plates if I go with option 3.

I want to keep this simple. I think a cover crop can do a lot for me, but I mostly want to build the soil structure and I have some isolated compaction areas I want to break up (I'm a notiller, but I'm not above getting out the chisel plow). What is my best option, or is there something else I should consider?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)