AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drought effect on my farm and community......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

northmofarm
Posted 7/7/2012 16:41 (#2471861)
Subject: Drought effect on my farm and community......

Wife and I set down and made a plan B yesterday realizing that this thing may not let up and the beans may bite the big one also. This is our list and feel free to add to it. Just from making our list on our farm Im sure this drought is going to have a huge effect across the midwest.
1. We were going to buy a new to us tractor this fall instead of renting an extra in the spring. That's out for sure and we may not rent next spring.
2. Had planned to add a second semi by either purchase or hired during corn harvest. That's for sure off the list.
3. Have a guy who takes time off his city job and helps a couple weeks at harvest for Christmas money for his family. That's a tough one. We still need him and he depends on us so he's still on unless things get real bad.
4. Dad and I had eyed a portable welder. Always wanted one of those but it can wait till 2014.
5. We will eat out a whole lot less.
6. If the combine breaks down we will take the time to fix it ourself an maybe look for used parts. No hurry to get 30 bu corn shelled.
If we can do these things well with no major repairs and crop insurance happens to set buck higher than spring it can still be a good year, but suppliers and such will feel the pinch. Local coop said they laid off 1 and will hire no fall help unless things change soon.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)