AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1780 jd planter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hardietack
Posted 7/8/2012 14:22 (#2473526 - in reply to #2471204)
Subject: Re: 1780 jd planter

SE ND
I would definitely go 22" vs a splitter. That will save some weight. In my opinion 22" is the ideal row width for corn and soybeans in the north. The friesen undercarriage design is not that great compared to the Bauer. The center wheels push instead of pull which tends to cause issues when trying to lift in a wet spot. Kinda depends on how much tractor you have in front to drag the planter through. We had a 1780 24 row 20" with the K and M conversion to 24 row 22" back around 2002. The conversion added a second bar behind the factory bar making it a double bar and also causing there to be even more negative tongue weight. If you convert a 1780 I would just add on the the 40' 24 row 20" vs adding the second bar. At the time we were running that planter we pulled it with an 8200 mfwd with 14.9x46" rubber and it wasn't enough tractor or tire in tough conditions. A newer track tractor or something with front duels and 50" rubber would probably handle it fine. If you can find a Bauer with boxes or a Wil-Rich front fold PT-2200 I believe those are better toolbars but will probably cost a bit more. Around here the 20"stuff is going cheap as dealers are strongly encouraging guys to go 22" because of resale.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)