AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2012 will be the year we ask....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

thor
Posted 7/7/2012 11:22 (#2471313 - in reply to #2471272)
Subject: Re: 2012 will be the year we ask....

northern MN

Time will tell wont it? My opinion is that we are more closely associated with the 30s than the 80s but I certainly hope and truely pray not. I survived the 80s, more than once I just sat alone in my shop wondering how i was going to. It was a very difficult time for an economic first generation farmer trying to compete without risking or losing everything that had been built up. If you truly have seen it all you would understand that statement. Granted the majority of the farm community has deeper pockets this time and the implement companys are carrying the majority of the debt but...  Give this time to play out and see the decline in APH that happens with back to back poor crops... things change quickly. In 1986 if I could have proven my wheat yield for the 86 crop I would have had a base yield over 60. That would have also been my mpci aph, 3 years of drought and a few years of fusarium I still have one 1/2 section that has an aph under 50. I am well aware that there is a huge differance in interest rates but what is similar is the unbridaled euphoria that surrounds our industry. Kids coming home to farm that could go into the workplace and earn huge salaries, realatives all fighting over family assets. Hell even my Pastor brought up the good times we have in agriculture during negotiations for salary. What happens today has a long tail and Yes I do think we are like the 80s, what we paid in interest we now pay in rent.

Edited by thor 7/7/2012 11:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)