AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strip tilling coc in the same exact spot--on top of old rows.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

nbfarms
Posted 6/18/2012 22:27 (#2437009)
Subject: Strip tilling coc in the same exact spot--on top of old rows.

On our drip or subsurface irrigation, we have to place the new rows almost on top of the old one in order to keep the spacing over tape correct. We are set up 2 in to the side of the tape, and we move the other direction 3-4 inches when we strip till after beans. Beans stubs are narrow enough and short enough to not bother the strip till or planter. Corn stalks i believe would give the strip till, and even more the gauge wheels on planter, hell when trying to run 3 inches to the side of old rows. So....my question is, if i plan to fall strip till, will a stalk chopper be able to remove the old corn stalks enough to be able to run right beside the old row?? Or, do i need to plan on vertical till of some sort it? I have neither a VT or a chopper, so i would have to hire it done, for now any way. It would be easier to find someone to chop it, but the guy i know who does it, normally waits until spring ahead of beans to let the stalks deteriorate more-that is not an option though for me.
To clarify the situation- last year we planted beans 2 in. to the left of the tape, then last fall we strip tilled 2 in. to the right of the tape. Now its in corn and we wont to go 2 years corn, 1 beans. and so on. Also, we have a pull type strip till, so running real close to old rows causes it to pull side ways and just bounce side to side over root balls. TIA!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)